This is one of my favorite culinary “holidays”. Cook something bold and pungent day is the brainchild of Thomas and Ruth Roy (1). Cooking something strong and deliciously stinky is really a great way add pizzazz to a cold and dreary November night. It is also a great way to get your culinary creativity flowing as we roll into the holidays.
In celebration of this special food day, I blended the pungent flavors of garlic mashed potatoes (extra garlic). Beyond Meat Swedish meatballs and topped them both with a bold onion gravy. This platter of bold and pungent flavors will shake your taste buds and warm your tummy.
Ingredients/preparation – garlic mashed potatoes
- 6 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 2 pounds (about 4 potatoes) Yukon gold potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons of Earth Balance or other non-dairy buttery spread
- 1/2 cup plain unsweetened almond or other plant-based milk, add more if needed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place garlic on a piece of foil, drizzle with 1 teaspoon of olive oil, wrap and roast until tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Strain and return the potatoes to the saucepan.
- Add the roasted garlic, almond milk, Earth Balance, salt and pepper to the potatoes. Mash with a potato masher to the desired consistency, adding additional almond milk as necessary.Transfer the potatoes to a serving bowl and keep warm.
Ingredients/preparation – onion gravy
- 2 medium-large sweet onions, peeled and sliced thinly along the longitudinal lines
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- Wondra Quick-Mixing Flour (Wondra is an instant flour that dissolves quicker than regular flour and is great for sauces and gravies)
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan. Add onions and cook over medium-high heat, until onions start to brown on the bottom, stirring occasionally.
- When onions are slightly softened and turning a caramel brown color, add 1/4 cup broth.
- Reduce heat, cover and continue cooking, adding more broth as needed to prevent the caramelized bit of onion at the bottom of the pan from burning.
- It should take about 20-25 minutes to release the sugar in the onions and deepen the bold flavor. Pour the remaining broth in at the end and turn up heat.
- As the broth begins to boil, sprinkle about 2 teaspoons of flour over onions and stir. keep adding a bit more until gravy reaches the desired thickness.
Ingredients/preparation – Beyond Meat Swedish meatballs
Beyond Meat Swedish Meatballs are available in the healthy section of the frozen isle in most well-stocked grocery stores. You can also go to their handy store locator to find a store near you. To prepare, just heat according to the package.
Once you have everything cooked and ready, just portion out potatoes, meatballs, top with gravy and enjoy. This recipe will make 4 servings. Happy cook something bold and pungent day.