Fall is my favorite time of year! The weather is starting to cool off, we are beginning to think about the holidays and squash is in season. This recipe is inspired by the flavors and colors of fall. It is a hearty combination of butternut squash, black beans, quinoa, and kale. It is easy to make, packed with protein, fiber and flavor. This recipe will make four nice size bowls – bon appétit!
The recipes are listed in the order you should prepare them with assembly notes at the end.
Ingredients/preparation – Butternut Squash
- 1 small to medium butternut squash – yep that’s it!
I learned this easy preparation method from my good friend Chef Alex Bury. It works for any squash and will save you a lot of prep time.
- Preheat the oven too 400 degrees
- Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper or tin foil
- Place the entire squash in the oven for 30-40 minutes
- Remove from the oven and let cool for about 30 minutes
- Slice in half length-wise, scoop out the seeds, peel and cube
Ingredients/preparation – quinoa
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 2 cups of organic vegetable broth
- Place quinoa and vegetable broth in a saucepan and bring to a boil
- Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until all the water is absorbed – about 15 minutes.
Ingredients/preparation – Black Beans
- 3 cups of you own home made beans or two 15 ounce cans of organic black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup of organic vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- Place all of the ingredients in a small sauce pan
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes to reduce liquid
Ingredients/preparation – kale
- 1 bunch of kale
- 1 tablespoon of Olive oil
- 2 clove of fresh garlic – minced
- Sea salt to taste
- Juice of 1/2 small lemon
- Strip leaves from stems and tear into large bite size peices
- Heat oil on medium/high heat
- Saute garlic until fragrant – about 30 seconds (careful not to burn)
- Add kale and sauté for about 2 minutes
- Remove from heat, squeeze lemon on top, sprinkle with sea salt and toss
- Scoop 1/2 cup of quinoa into one quadrant of the bowl
- Add the squash to the second quadrant
- Using a slotted spoon, to allow liquid to drain, add 1/2 cup of black beans to the third quadrant
- Fill in the remaining spot with kale and serve
This is just one serving suggestion. Feel free to get creative with variations to the recipe and presentation. Please leave a comment below and let me know how you like it – I look forward to hearing from you.